Thursday, February 18, 2010

40 Days of Raw: Day 2

So, Day 2. 1/20th of the way there.

I ended up making my red kale salad. It turned out pretty good after letting it sit for a few hours. I did kind of over-salt and over-pepper, but it wasn't so salty or spicy that I was unable to eat it.

Kale Salad Recipe (Inspired by recipe taught by The Raw Choice)
1 bunch red kale
1 red pepper
1/2 vidalia onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 lemon
sea salt
red pepper

Wash all veggies. Then, shred kale into 3/4" wide strips that are no more than 3 1/2 inches in length. Cut red pepper into eighths and cut into thin strips. Cut onion into quarter rounds. Squeeze lemon juice over salad, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Put in a covered container and shake (you can do this with your hands, but it will be more sanitary if you shake it up and let the salt and shaking bruise your kale). Let the mixture sit out for about an hour, then refrigerate for up to 3 days. Eat and enjoy. The kale should taste like it has been "cooked."

This also may have been due to how hungry I have been. Right now, my #1 problem is not feeling like my belly is full (yesterday I filled up on kale salad and pecans, then brought blueberries and a pomegranate to work, followed by a cashew, cauliflower and avocado plate) but getting enough *energy*. I am dragging ass most of the day. I am dreaming about the positive effects of caffiene. Hippie juice (apple cider vinegar, water and lemon) does not pack the same punch at all. Sorry Dr Bragg.

Day 2 of raw? Improvement, but barely passing.

No comments: