Thursday, March 4, 2010

40 Days of Raw: Day 15 and 16 a new toy!

So I got up today and packed some fruit, stepped outside for work and lo and behold, my VITAMIX had arrived. I raced through my lessons, so excited about my vitamix. First thing...I cleaned it. Yep, I'm a nerd.

Then I got to business. First things first, sweet sweet almond milk. They recommend filtering with cloth, which I didn't do. The milk is, admittedly, a little grainy, but a little fiber never hurt anybody. I then attempted to make the ice cream recipe using:
1/2 c blueberries
1/2 c bananas and mango
1/4 c strawberries
1/4 c blackberries
1 c almond milk
1/2 c spinach

Let me say, FAIL. However, I did end up with a big fat smoothie dinner, which I quickly downed. Later that night, I also wrapped some avocado in nori for an evening sushi snack, as well as noshing on the avocado spinach dip (which I can't wait to attempt in my vitamix for an even creamier smoother greatness). For the record, Dork tried that spinach dip and said "This is how raw hummus should taste." And I agree. Fuck raw hummus. There, I said it.

This morning, I attempted another green smoothie this time containing:
1 whole grapefruit
1 whole cucumber
1 c almond milk
1/2 c frozen banana and mango
1 handful flax seeds
1/2 c blueberries
5 strawberries

This smoothie was not really as tasty as yesterday's, probably because I used 2 very large, bitter fruits for this drink. I'm going to drag it along to work with me and hope for the best. I'm also planning to pack a raw crunch bar for the fatigue. I'm really looking forward to trying to make ice cream again, as well as some cashew butter!

So, anybody got any great recipes for a new vitamix owner? Man, when raw is over, I'm gonna make some soup! It's gonna be so RAD.

Days 15 and 16: yay getting calories. I've lost about 7 pounds since the start of this experiment (2 weeks ago). It's not that I don't want to drop some weight, but I am worried that it is more starvation method than healthy stuff. I've started doing at home bodyweight exercise to attempt to preserve my muscles. :)

No comments: