Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Raw for Lent Days 4-6

Saturday, Day 4:
There's an apocryphal quote sometimes attributed to Einstein that says the definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting different results.  I'm here to tell you that is WRONG.  The definition of insanity is going raw for lent when you are a grad student with three part time jobs!

Saturday, after my blessed, blessed beauty rest, I woke up to snow!  That threw a real hink in visiting Jazz, so instead, I went to Whole Foods and stocked up on some packaged raw foods, came home and made a trough full of guacamole (2 avocados, 4 tomatoes, 1 c frozen peas, 1 onion, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic).  This was portioned out for two other helpings, then the remainder went down with a head of cauliflower.

Then, I went to work. At a bar.  Womp.

I brought a Raw Revolution bar with me for a much-needed late snack, then finished up the chard salad when I got home.

Sunday, Day 5:
I had a banana and a handfull of almonds on the way out the door to my teaching gig, but made sure to pack some guac and celery for myself as well.  Turns out, it was a good move, since I went pretty much directly from teaching back to the bar for a 7 hour shift.

When I got home from the bar at midnight (having last eaten at around 4pm), I was ravenous.  I tore through "cheezy chipotle" kale chips and the rest of the guacamole, along with some strawberries and hail merry macaroons.

Yes, I am aware that I just consumed like, $20 of pre-packaged raw food/produce for a midnight snack.  Planning has not been my forte so far this lent.  I worked on my homework for about an hour until I passed out...


Day 6
...and woke up too late to make the AMAZING shake I'd planned for myself for breakfast.  Instead, I just took all the elements of said shake (almonds, banana, weirdly delicious but unseasonal strawberries) to school for my 2nd to last 13-hour Monday.

Got some good news on the job front from the company I interviewed with on Friday.  I'm weighing the offer against the other existing based on location, culture fit, internship project (if known) and compensation.  Still waiting to hear back from two others, so we will see!

I finally had a minute to run out during my hour and change break, so, once again I made the totally wallet-busting and got some grawnola.  Note to users: sweet and sour grawnola is grody.  Do not buy it.  On the downside, I can't find my formerly favorite Go Raw products anymore!  I was so in love with the cinnamon-y granola.

I finally made it through my strawberries, nuts and water, then got done at school.  I'm really exhausted now, but when you give up not only drinking, but eating regular food for lent, there's a special thing that happens in these first few weeks.  Yes, it's the crabby and the tired and the detoxing.  But there's this yen to be part of things even though you're crabby and tired.  So I called my friends but nobody was out.  Instead, i finished the rest of my sauer kraut, ate a mango and am updating you all.

I just got my laptop back as well, so I'll be attempting to update with more photos.  Be sure to follow the twitter (@glucklich) to track me more closely.  Although I am unlikely to become one of those people constantly tweeting pictures of my food, you will get updates on the crabbies! ;)

The plan for tomorrow involves making some delicious juice to sip on all day and try and help my body eliminate toxins and help boost up some of those organs so I get energized by this.  I'm also going to try and build some more Epic, Vega and Sunwarrior into lent this year.

Any advice for raw eating on the go for the planning challenged?  I feel like I may end up breaking my bank (and the point of eating raw) if I keep up with buying all this plastic wrapped raw food!

#challenges

No comments: